eCommerce products and capabilities have grown rapidly through acquisition and digital advancement. To measure the acceleration of the product development lifecycle while managing it across the expanding portfolio, a technology company needed to address certain blockers. Product management, product development and engineering, and IT all need to:
- Clarify and centralize end-to-end accountability to a product- and customer-centric view. Focus on the holistic product development lifecycle – spanning financial, feature/function development, and quality delivery of operations.
- Increase speed through continuous integration and deployment while increasing quality and stability.
- Change organization (and leadership) attitudes and culture to DevOps.
Imagining IT Differently
- Utilized Value Stream Mapping to optimize processes, tools and team.
- Identified and accelerated the speed of delivery through automation and team dynamics.
- Clarified the roles and integrated teams with Enterprise IT delivery, Product Management and other functions.
- Conducted Organizational Change activities to educate and enable the cultural changes.
Upon successful pilots, ISG led an organization-wide implementation using the proven approach to shift all eCommerce teams to a more Agile DevOps culture.
Future Made Possible
- The company received proof of concept (POC) success measured on velocity (time to deployment, time to restore) and team dynamics (satisfaction, common objectives). Blocker removal was successful, leading to implementation across entire eCommerce organization.
- It benefited from the “playbook” ISG created to guide newly established teams in Agile and DevOps principles.
- The new organizational change strategy that ISG created supports leadership and employees in adopting the new culture with re-useable content.
- The organization gained empowered, product-aligned teams, a Center of Excellence to drive continuous improvement, clear plans for broader adoptions and technology capabilities moving at the speed of business.